Mold and Mildew thrive in a moist and humid environment. Do you find that your bathrooms have a musty and mildewy smell and you have to spray down your bath & shower all too often to prevent the scent from infiltrating your nostrils every time you venture into the bath? During these cold months, many homeowners tend to run the hot water longer and sit under the steamy warmth to prevent that winter chill. Most tend to leave off the vent fan to get the added warmth that comes from a steamy hot shower. Along with the steam comes the mold and mildew. In just a few steps you can lay off the elbow grease and keep your bathroom smelling fresh and clean and help eliminate the growth of Mold and Mildew.
- Install or Use your Existing Bath Vent Fan- They are designed to take the moisture out of the air and prevented the excess humidity from promoting the growth of mold and mildew. Prop your bathroom door open to allow for extra air movement and if necessary, use a small free standing fan to circulate the air.
- Remove any Signs of Mold and Mildew- Bleach, Mildew Remover, Hydrogen Peroxide, Vinegar & Baking Soda are great options to use when scrubbing away mildew. Add a little elbow grease and a small brush and your shower will be sparkling in no time. A great tip is to spray down your shower walls with vinegar and water regularly to help prevent the growth of any stinky culprits.
- Replace Mold & Mildew Prevalent Items- If you have persistent mold growth, you may need to replace caulk, shower curtains, or shower door trim to help eliminate any opportunities for growth. Don’t keep shampoo or body wash bottles sit in the shower as they often trap water underneath and promote mildew growth.
- Keep your Bathroom Clean- Reduce standing water after a shower. Squeegee your shower after each use to remove excess water. Rinse off soap scum on the walls and floor to help prevent the trapping of bacteria, mildew and mold.
- Fix all Leaks- Added moisture promotes the growth of mold and mildew. Check your toilets, sink fixtures and shower fixtures for drips and leaks and rectify any problem. This will help eliminate the perfect environment for mildew growth.
The key to bathroom mold and mildew removal is prevention. Do not encourage a humid environment where the mold and mildew can multiply. Once you have rid yourself of any issues, make sure to consistently clean the mildew prone areas. It’s also important to take note of why you have the problem to begin. Contact Casteel’s expert electricians to help with the repair or installation of a bath fan and the Casteel Master Plumbers – voted metro Atlanta’s #1 Best Pick Plumber by Atlanta Home Improvement Magazine- for leak detection and repair. Schedule Today!